Friday, January 16, 2009

Jacob's Pillow

Jacob's Pillow has a history somewhat like The Bennington School of Dance/The American Dance Festival. It was/is driven by the desire to explore and show the public the wonderful world of Modern Dance. It was started by Ted Shawn in 1930 and since then has evolved from his (and his then-wife Ruth St. Denis) retreat house and private performance space into a center that includes a festival, school, community programs, and an archival systems.

Reflection
I now realize how similar this is to The Bennington School of Dance/ADF. They literally shared a director, Charles Reinhart, for a moderate sized period starting in 1974. I feel very appreciative that this place exists, I will visit it next summer. By researching this, I've learned a little about how dancers/choreographers meet and connect with another. They can meet at places like Jacob's pillow and see each other's works. Next, I will research Ted Shawn and Ruth St. Denis, for they surfaced in my research and I would like to know more.

No comments: