Saturday, January 3, 2009

Martha Graham

I just finished researching Martha Graham, another great Modern Dancer like Alvin Ailey. Like Mary Wigman, she didn't discover her calling for Modern Dance until her twenties. She wanted to dance with the Denishawn Company, but her bold brunette features and somewhat plump figure didn't fit in with the other Denishawn dancers. So, she separated from the company and started creating and dancing in her own works. I didn't know that she ended up marrying Erick Hawkins. I will research him next. I think it's interesting that Louis Horst was also her lover and her friend who urged her to leave the Denishawn School. I wonder if she ever used personal connections to work in her favor in other ways.

Here is an interesting clip that I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr8OqS7glxk

No comments: